Friday, April 25, 2014

Inspiration & Influences

My favorite stories were (and are) the sort that unfold slowly, like a time lapse video of a flower blooming. The kind with lyrical prose that sets a certain mood, gives off a certain vibe. The sort of story that paints a vivid picture for the reader. Authors like Libba Bray, Allison Croggon, Kathi Appelt, Laini Taylor, Alice Hoffman, Maggie Stiefvater, and, the Grandmaster himself, J.R.R. Tolkien all do this. All are my heroes. 

I can't help but recall the advice of Professor Berry, my Journalism 101 teacher from Freshman year at Grand Valley State University: "Show, don't tell," he'd bark as he made the rounds, peering over our shoulders to read directly from the computer screens whatever projects my classmates and I happened to be working on. At the time, I really didn't know what he meant. 

Now I think I understand. When writing, don't just say what's going on (the "and then, and then, and then" approach).  Write so the reader feels as though they're there, as if they're part of the story. World building, setting the scene, showing instead of telling... It's all the same. This to me is the hallmark of a well-written story. This is what will pull me into a book and keep me invested throughout. 

This is what I tried to do with Deep a Blue. I want my readers to be able to visualize the characters, the settings, the action. I want them to see what I saw and feel what I felt, as I was writing. And, most important, I want them to enjoy reading the story as much as I enjoyed writing it. 

I received an answer to a query today. A prospective agent wanting to see some sample pages. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment